Tuesday, November 16, 2010

TERRIBLE TWO!

What do you do for your "terrible two" year old? Geddy will be so sweet for a week, and then just turn into a monster for days on end. He seriously won't have to go to time out for a week, and then for three days in a row he'll go to time out 6 times a day! I have heard that putting them in their bed to "punish" them might not be the best approach, but most of the time it's all that works for us! After a few minutes in his bed he's usually good the rest of the day (or at least half the day or a few hours anyway). I often find myself frustrated and worn out wondering how on earth I am going to be able to manage this terrible two year old and a newborn! I notice that when there's lots to do, such as house work, etc. and we aren't just laying around the house, he seems to be a better boy. So maybe that's they key? I just need to clean my house more!!!

5 comments:

Allison said...

Taking things away from Jack has started working well for me (i.e. toys, treats and today I took away TV all day after an awful fit this morning). When he was 2 I did a lot of timeouts but you're right that you get exhausted. I wish I knew all the answers...I've got another one nearing the 2s, aaaahhhh!

Anne and Graham said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne and Graham said...

I know what you mean! I don't know how I am going to handle two kids less than two years apart so I understand your concern. But just like we did with the first kid, we'll figure it out over time. By the way, I am due April 24, which is the day after you, right? We will have to get these girls (I think your intuition is right) together!

As far as dealing with tempers, our pediatrician suggested ignoring them. When Ryks throws a fit, we do not give him any reaction (positive or negative). We don't try to distract him, or give him something else. If he has something he shouldn’t play with, we take it away. Then, if he screams, we will watch him but we don’t say anything. This may not be the best approach, nor will it always work, but Ryker is getting over his fits faster now.

Lacey said...

Sorry to tell you but I think that 3-4 yr is the worst. I don't even remember what we did with our kids. I'm struggling with Parker a little bit an I think he just feels left out. Maybe Geddy feels the change already happening with the new baby coming. Just keep doing what your doing and one day it will click. You could always send him over to play with Parker and Alex. They would love that. It won't be as much fun without our playroom done.:)

Emily said...

I feel for you! Isabelle is, I think, just a few weeks younger (maybe a month) than Geddy. There are good days, but definitely bad days too.

You'll do great with Geddy and a newborn. You're braver than me. I'm still not sure if I want another one. :)

“Dreams... I wonder if the result is imperative or if it is the process that adds value to ones life? Or both...” –CH