Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Some thoughts on Motherhood

Being a mother was and is my all time dream, but I am not going to lie, I often struggle finding joy in it! I don't feel bad saying this because I have conferred with all my close friends and this is a common feeling among mothers! I am trying to do better and have been inspired by a book called "Daughters of God: Scriptural Portraits," by S. Michael Wilcox. Proverbs 31 is awesome! I didn't realize (or remember) that is is loaded with the good stuff! You know it, the one about the virtuous woman, her worth far above that of rubies. There are many virtues that a virtuous women possesses. "She worketh willingly with her hands and  . . . her candle goeth not out." (Proverbs 31:13,18). Motherhood is hard and dang it we just have to dig in and accept that and keep at it! A virtuous woman is wise and kind, "She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness." (Proverbs 31:26). Quoting from Michael Wilcox, "Her word is law, but it is obeyed because it is kind, not angry, threatening, or nagging. Her word is followed because it is wise." Wow, what an amazing thing to aspire to, to have our kids follow our words because they are kind and wise. I hate raising my voice at Geddy, but I find when I LOWER my voice and say please, he often responds better and does not REACT with growling dinosaur noises. I want my children to call me "blessed" (Proverbs 31:28) and say, "thou excellest them all." (Proverbs 31:29). I have felt inspired and want to do better!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take it from your mother-in-law who loves you as her own...you are doing a WONDERFUL job!

Swilor Family said...

Ok, so I haven't looked at blogs for so long and was pleasantly surprised to see this! I don't know if you've seen on my blog that I am leading a Proverbs 31 study throughout the summer! How funny that I came to your blog and saw you posting about Proverbs 31! God is so clever! It's been SO good! You are welcome to join if you want. It's so much more encouraging in a group, than me just rambling my own thoughts on my blog. haha Love ya!

Michelle said...

I grew up with you helping raise your siblings, so I knew you would be a good mommy. And you are! When we are together, I notice that you give your kids great attention and direction. And I'm sure your kids are hard at times, but they seem to be angels when I see them!

Farnsworth Fam said...

Glad to know my boys are not the only ones that respond with growling... That lowering your voice thing, and using some word like "please..." I might have to try that. :)

“Dreams... I wonder if the result is imperative or if it is the process that adds value to ones life? Or both...” –CH