Saturday, October 29, 2011

Canning Grape Juice



This is an ode to my beloved yearly tradition of canning grape juice. Marcia, Brennan's Mom, has sold the "farm" in Farmington and is moving on! I made sure this year I picked an extra large crop of grapes in case I never have the chance to make homemade grape juice again! :( I picked two VERY large clothes baskets full of grapes (concord and green) that I am sure weighed over 50 pounds each. 100 pounds of grapes = 44 quarts of beautiful grape juice = 12 + hours canning in the kitchen!

3 comments:

Lacey said...

Tonee,
You are amazing. You go girl. So glad you were able to take advantage of the grapes from your mother in law's place. Sometimes I wish I knew how to can and also had the patience for it, maybe someday.

Megan Hauze said...

Wow... you are incredible. I just inherited a canner from my aunt and would love to get into it. What else do you can???

Tonee said...

Megan, was it a water bath or steam canner? Or a steam juicer? Canning is a lot of work, but I still think it's great. In the past I have canned salsa, applesauce, pears, and every year I usually do grape juice!

“Dreams... I wonder if the result is imperative or if it is the process that adds value to ones life? Or both...” –CH