Friday, May 8, 2009

A Mother's Love





















My mother in law Marcia (which title of "mother in law" does not give her justice, as she is more like a mother to me), said something a few weeks back that I think about almost every day. She was talking to Geddy in her soft, sweet voice and said to him "Does your Momma love you more than any baby boy has ever been loved?" "Ahh," I thought to myself, "the true words of a mother." I love motherhood more than I could have ever dreamed or imagined. Wise Marcia has also told me that the decision to have a child is the decision to "forever have your heart go walking outside your body." I feel this every day so intensely with my son, and he's not even driving, walking, let alone out of my sight for more than minutes at a time. I love my boy so much I am sometimes torn at the "pain" I feel inside anticipating if anything ever happened to him (I know, I know, I am a worrier!). I do feel, that I love him so much that it "hurts!" My heart feels full to bursting. How can you contain this with child number 2, 3, and even more ? ? ? I hear it's possible, but I just can't imagine how you could have your "heart go walking outside your body" times 2 or 3 or more! This leads me to reflect on 2 things. One, I said to my mom the other day, "mom, you LOVED me that much?" She said "honey, LOVED?....I still LOVE you that much." Secondly, it hit me hard recently that the love Heavenly Father has for me is this same (if not more) intense, pure, guileless love.

Happy Mothers Day to all you mothers. Let us rejoice in the amazing, pure, and perfect gift of a child!

4 comments:

Siri said...

I'm sorry if I comment too much, Tonee. But, I soooo love this post. I feel the same way. Thank you so much for sharing!

Nicki Swilor said...

How sweet! I can't wait to be a mommy. You are such a cute mom. I can tell how much you love your boy just by this cute blog!

Farnsworth Fam said...

You are always full of so much inspiration and good advice. It is good for me to have people like you surrounding me.

Anonymous said...

Sweet post, Tonee, and just for the record I thought I'd send you the full quote...although I can't for the life of me remember who originally said it...it wasn't me!
"The decision to have a child is momentous. It is the decision to forever have your heart go walking around outside of your body."
I agree with your mom. Us moms love our children that much no matter HOW old they are...even in their 40s like two of mine!
Treasure each experience and fine joy in Geddy's growth. I love you both, and, of course, my "Budley," too. Marcia.

“Dreams... I wonder if the result is imperative or if it is the process that adds value to ones life? Or both...” –CH