Friday, October 17, 2008

Birthing 101

Last weekend we attended our birthing class. It was an all day long affair at Davis Hospital. It was just the basics really. My most important question and fear was ..."where do I go and what do I do when I go into labor?" Mostly worrying if I could navigate the seemingly confusing layout of Davis Hospital and get to labor and delivery! Well, they said, "if in doubt just go to the emergency"...makes sense! Brennan said last night that we should get our hospital bags ready, just in case we have an unexpected early arrival. Wow! I can't believe I am anticipating this already...are we coming so close, that I could go into labor? That's weird.
Well, back to the class, they didn't focus a lot on breathing methods, like lamaze, etc. The instructor said if anyone wanted to stay after, and was planning on natural childbirth they could stay and she would demonstrate and have us practice lamaze, and other breathing techniques, but no one stayed. I think we are all planning on epidurals (heaven knows I am!). It might be good to practice some breathing techniques anyway, just in case I am forced to go natural, but I probably really won't spend time on learning an specific technique - maybe just practicing the basic "ah he he ho." Anyway the class also made me think about who we want for our child's pediatrician...ANY SUGGESTIONS? I would prefer someone who is in the region of Bountiful to Layton (no SLC).

5 comments:

Sarah B said...

Hi cute Tonee! I like my pediatrician. He is west of Davis Hospital in the Tanner Clinic. His name is Brent Eberhard. His number is 773-4840. I remember being so stressed about which pediatrician to choose. It's good that you are trying to decide on one early. You're going to be a good mommy.

Teri said...

Well, with me begin started, there was pretty much no way I was going natural, so I didn't get to learn any breathing techniques. I wish I had, because going from nothing to full on labor with no epidural was an experience. You could try borrowing a video from either your OB or the hospital. They usually have those sorts of things.

Good luck on the pediatrician. I love mine, but hate that he is at WeeCare. We found him right after Abbie was born, (almost 9 years ago!!!) because we were living in Logan, but delivered at Davis. If you don't have a doctor, the WeeCare guys come in and take care of things. He was awesome, but now I wish he were somewhere else. I hate going to WeeCare for him. Luckily my kids are healthy, so it is pretty much only for the well child check-ups, and we are done with those now that Nigel is in school!! Good luck! My only advice would be to stay away from WeeCare if you can!

Siri said...

I can't believe you are packing emergency bags already! I heard on a tv show recently ... "don't forget to pack the adult sized depends ... you look like donald duck ... but you wear them proud." I've thought that if I ever delivered a baby again, I would totally do that. Just passing it on. =) (he he!) My pediatrician is in Syracuse. Sorry babe.

the dutson five said...

Hey cute Tonee!
I really like our pediatrician too. His name is Ryan Evans and he is part of the Tanner Clinic too, but is office is in Kaysville. It's so nice to have the doctor so close and he's so so nice. I don't really like his nurses at all, but he's so great, he makes up for it. He did Sam's circumcision too and did a great job...

Lacey said...

Hey Tonee, I can't beleive it is getting so close. As far as the breathing I didn't like the way they taught me in our class because I felt like I was going to pass out, which of course is not good so I just did the normal deep breathe in and breathe out. What ever felt normal for my body. We have a family doctor in bountiful, Alisa Knowlton. I switched to her because it seemed easier to get into her rather than Dr. Black the pediatrician. I went through her when I had Parker also. I'm so excited for you both.

“Dreams... I wonder if the result is imperative or if it is the process that adds value to ones life? Or both...” –CH