Thursday, August 7, 2008

Week 20 - Ultrasound

I had my 20 week ultrasound on Monday. Brennan said he wasn't going to count on it being a boy until this ultrasound...and it's still a boy!!! I was a little disappointed at the ultrasound - I guess I had my expectations set too high. Since this was the hospital ultrasound, we were figuring we'd be able to see a clearly defined hand or foot or something really cool, but not so. This picture was cute if you can make it out; the baby’s feet are crossed.
One cool thing happened though. As I was looking at the monitor I could see the baby's leg and then I saw him kick it and I could feel it at the same time! It was awesome to see and feel!
However, I was an emotional mess that whole day, because they couldn't tell us if everything looked alright or not at the ultrasound. The tech just said she had to give the ultrasound to the radiologists and they are the ones that interpret the results, and then give them to my OB. Well, we met with my OB yesterday (who I love!), and he said everything should be fine, that if something was wrong they would have called him immediately to let him know.
At the ultrasound they said I am 20 weeks and 3 days (and I was only 20 weeks) and the baby weighs 12 oz, but at my Dr.'s appointment he said I am measuring 24 cm. Wow...I thought I was big for only 20 weeks!!! He was also a little surprised at my weight, and asked me, "are you sure they weighed you right?" I assured him that was right! I am surprised as well. 20 weeks and I have gained 20 pounds! So 20 more weeks....20 more ponds (or more??)...eek! I’m not too conscious about the weight gain for vanity purposes; I just want to gain a healthy amount, not an unhealthy amount. The Dr. said as long as I am eating healthy (lots of fruits and veggies) he doesn't care too much about weight. I think I am eating alright, but I definitely give into indulgences a lot more than I used too; you know cookies, ice cream, chips!!!! And recently I have started wanting candy all the time. The first 15 weeks or so, I don't recall eating much if ANY candy.
I am excited we made it to the half way point, now I am just holding my breath for the other half...hoping and praying that we can have this baby in our arms in 20 weeks!

5 comments:

Lacey said...

I'm so excited for you. You look so cute. I remember gaining tons of weight with each baby. I even had my dr. ask me on Madi's appt if I felt bigger than with my first pregnancy. WOW can you beleive that but yes I do have to say it was true and I agreed with him. Just remember it is all worth it in the end. :)

Unknown said...

That's so exciting! I'm glad you guys are getting a boy! And don't worry about the ultrasounds, they never tell you if it's good or bad. I've gotten one to say that everything looked ok, but she couldn't be sure. So don't stress over that. Weight gain, well, I gained 80 pounds with Jake. But we were both healthy. Don't worry about it. And try to think of healthy alternatives to your carvings. I did that with Leo, and only gained 25 (which I have no officially lost!) I hope we get to see you guys soon! Take care!!

the dutson five said...

Oh, yay! I'm glad everything looks good! I've been thinking about you and wondered how it turned out at your doctor's appt. And, I loved Dr. Spencer too - he always had such a calm, reassuring demeanor that helped put me at ease every appt. The P.A. is a different story, so I hope you don't ever have to see her...
And, I hear ya about the sweets! Pregnancy time was seriously just a big free for all for me - I really did eat whatever I wanted and didn't feel at all guilty. It's hard enough work to grow a human, you might as well be rewarded along the way... So, you go girl! It all comes off again e-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-l-y. (Or so I'm hoping!)

Teri said...

Yeah! I guess I better get going on those blankets. I gained a ton of weight with Nigel and still have to lose it....Abbie, my first, was a lot easier. I don't know that there is any rhyme or reason to it..to each their own! Just so long as you and the baby are healthy!

Emilee said...

Congrats, that is so awesome, I loved our ultrasound. It is so fun to see that little thing growing inside of you. I am glad that things look good.

“Dreams... I wonder if the result is imperative or if it is the process that adds value to ones life? Or both...” –CH